The very best customers. Although they may make up only 20 percent of the households
in your area, they actually account for 80 percent of your company’s business.
So how do you reach this exclusive segment? The Journal.
From the first moment the idea for our newspaper was conceived, we set our sights
on delivering the best customers for your business. And we do. So if you’re ready
to target consumers with the most spending power, The Journal can help you zero in.
A newspaper that’s not the same old story
Newspapers are often called a mass medium. However, The Journal is anything but. That’s because most newspapers’ distribution systems are based
on subscribers. The Journal maintains complete control of its distribution and utilizes a select system
based on a proprietary database that took two years to compile. The result? The Journal delivers over 69,000 of the most desirable households in the Upstate for advertisers.
And while The Journal may not be a mass medium in the traditional sense, it does have mass appeal
to our exclusive readership. The newspaper was specifically created to engage
readers through both content and design.
Every week, our writers cover more of what people are looking for. In-depth articles
on local news that go beyond the headlines. Stories you typically can’t find anywhere
Plus, the weekly format and magazine-style presentation invite people to spend
more time with our publication. This offers you the unique opportunity to showcase
your products or services to the leisure reader. And it means more opportunities
for readers to be exposed to your ad multiple times.
A targeted approach to distribution
When The Journal set out to target the households with the greatest spending power, the households
that your business would consider the greatest value, traditional distribution
systems were first analyzed:
• Targeting by zip code is not accurate because it covers too large of an area
and has vast variances in household demographics.
• Targeting by postal carrier route, while slightly more concentrated, still
has too great a difference in household composition to work for most businesses.
• Targeting by mail lists is also problematic, since many lists are generated
from national databases that are dated and do not keep up with growth in changing
markets like Greenville.
Upon further research, The Journal discovered that the only accurate way to deliver consumer spending power was
to develop a proprietary system based on neighborhoods. Key neighborhoods in densely
populated and affluent areas were handpicked to be the foundation of this system.
So now every week The Journal delivers:
• Buying Power – 86% of Journal households have incomes of $50,000 or more. The newspaper reaches 96% of homes
valued over $150,000*
• Business Leaders – 98% of heads of households are employed in white-collar
occupations or are retired*
• Homeowners – 100% of Journal households are single family dwellings*
• Education – 75% of heads of households have a college degree*
• Married Adults – 82% of readers are married*
• Children – 66% of readers have children in the home*
* above statistics based on The Greenville Journal
To ensure accountability to our advertisers, The Journal’s distribution system is audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations.
Be more direct with your customers
Strategically deliver your message to the audience in the Upstate market with
the highest consumer spending. The Journal’s proprietary database is the most up-to-date, audited, targeted audience in the
region delivering your most qualified prospects. Here are some unique ways you
can target your message:
• Display Advertising: Weekly and in color, reach our full-run distribution
• Inserts: In The Journal, choose zoned or total distribution
• Ride-Alongs: Delivered in the bag outside of The Journal • Special Sections: Designed to serve the special interests of our readers
• Merge/Purge Delivery: Increase your quantity strategically through postal savings
and use of The Journal’s proprietary database
• Bagvertising: 69,000 mini-billboards deliver IMPACT
• Print/Deliver: From concept to design and delivery. If it’s print – we do it!
At The Journal, we will help you analyze your advertising objectives and select the right options
to accomplish your goals.
Zero In Today
In today’s hyper-competitive marketplace, you can’t afford to miss your target.
The Journal can help you zero in on the most qualified prospects for your business. Every
week, we deliver over 69,000 households with the highest disposable income and
the greatest spending power. As a result, you eliminate waste and increase your
If you’d like to learn more about The Journal, or talk to a representative about developing a custom advertising program tailored
to your specific needs, just call 864.679.1200.